Monterrey, Mexico – Utica City FC wrapped up their trip to Mexico with their first meeting of the season with the Monterrey Flash. They trailed 3-0 at halftime but battled their way back in the third quarter. Ultimately, UCFC fell 12-6.

Utica City gave up three unanswered goals in the first half. Erick Rosas found the first goal of the game for the Flash 9 minutes into the game. Just four minutes later, Erick Tovar made it a two goal lead. He ripped a missile to the top corner and made it 2-0. Both of Monterrey’s tallies in the period were unassisted.

The only goal of the 2nd quarter was burred by Walter Ayovi. He got a breakaway off a turnover and beat Brian Wilkin to make it 3-0 at the end of the first half.

UCFC began their comeback in the third. Geo Alves tallied an unassisted goal just 15 seconds into the quarter. He buried a rebound off of Monterrey keeper Diego Reynoso and made it 3-1.

Monterrey answered with a goal from Luis Genaro Castillo. Dylan Hundelt would score Utica City’s second on a set piece where he found the ball right in the center of the box. Next, Gustavo Rosales regained a three goal lead for the Flash as he snuck one through on the back post. Before the third came to an end though, UCFC’s Issak Somow tucked one home on an assist from Nilton de Andrade and UCFC trailed just 5-3.

The fourth quarter would be all Monterrey. Aside from a Bo Jelovac goal and two late tallies from Gordy Gurson, the Flash scored seven goals in the quarter. Jelovac received a pass from Cristhian, Segura, and served a nice chip into the goal to make it 6-4. Monterrey got goals from Alvaro, Bocanegra, Ayovi, Castillo, Daniel Villela and Rosales, and Vallejo. Gurson’s two goals would come in the final 3 minutes. Ultimately the Flash sealed an 11-5 win against Utica City.

Utica City returns home Sunday, March 12th against Florida at 2pm. Prior to that, they will battle the Harrisburg Heat on the road Friday night. Tickets are available for the home game, and for all three remaining home games at ucfctickets.com.