UTICA, N.Y. – Utica City FC's unbeaten run at the Adirondack Bank Center came to an end Sunday afternoon as the Milwaukee Wave defeated Utica 7-4. Utica is now 5-2 on their inaugural season.

Milwaukee dominated possession early in the first quarter, forcing City goalkeeper Andrew Coughlin into two timely saves. The breakthrough came midway through the quarter when Liam Callahan lined up a shot on his favored left foot and blasted the ball past Rafael Dias. The strike was Callahan's sixth of the campaign.

Milwaukee leveled the contest in short order when Robert Renaud's strike caromed off the post and fell into the path of Luan Oliveria, who slotted his goal into a wide-open net. The visitors took the lead with under a minute to play in the opening quarter on a Max Ferdinand run and finish.

City came closest to scoring in the second quarter when forward Andre Braithwaite poked a loose ball past Dias but Milwaukee were able to prevent the ball from crossing the goal line. The Wave added to their lead through Andre Hayne's rebound finish. The half concluded with Utica down 3-1.

The second half started on the wrong foot for City. Drew Ruggles added to the Wave advantage with a side-footed effort into the bottom corner. Utica captain Bo Jelovac stopped Milwaukee's run of 4 unanswered goals with a back-heel into the net for his 5th goal of the season. 

Controversy erupted after a red card was issued to Jelovac for dissent. Milwaukee scored on the ensuing power-play to restore their three-goal lead.

Utica closed the deficit to 5-3 when Slavisa Ubiparipovic slotted home the rebound from Joey Tavernese's initial attempt on frame. The goal was Ubiparipovic's team-leading 8th goal of the season.

After Isaac Pereyra restored Milwaukee's 3 goal advantage, with over two minutes remaining in the game, Lucio Gonzaga scored his fourth of the season to cut the score to 6-4.

Milwaukee, again, scored as Utica pulled Coughlin in favor of a sixth attacker.

Utica City FC returns to action Friday night against the Mississauga MetroStars north of the border at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre. Game time is 7:35 p.m. All games can be viewed on MASLsoccer.com. They will return home on Sunday, January 13 to take on the Harrisburg Heat. Kick-off is at 2 p.m. Tickets are still available by visitingwww.empirestatetix.com